Keep calm and wear Orange — Tompouce recipe
While we are apart for everyone’s well-being, the entire HOVIMA Hotels team remains passionate about creating unique experiences tailored for every event. Although at this time we cannot celebrate them together, we do not lose the illusion to keep on living them as special days full of smiles and fun times that we love to share and that they become timeless unforgettable fond memories. This week would take place King’s Day celebrations in the Netherlands and therefore we encourage you to crown yourself as the true king of the house by following this amusing plan. Download the recipe of this traditional Dutch dessert, wear orange-colored clothes and surprise your family by recreating this colorful festivity at home. Happy King’s Day!
Ingredients for 12 Dutch “tompouces”:
- 2 rolls pastry 270 g
- 1 sachet of vanilla pudding powder
- 250 ml of milk
- 500 ml of whipped cream
- 200 g of powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 pack of gelatin
- Pink food coloring
- Soak the gelatin in cold water. Prepare the vanilla pudding powder with the milk according to the instructions on the package. Mix the squeezed gelatin into the warm vanilla mixture and allow the pudding to cool. Beat the whipped cream and mix it into the cooled mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C and prepare the dough according to the instructions on the package.
- Roll the fresh dough with the rolled parchment paper onto the baking tray and pierce the dough with a fork.
- Then cover both doughs with baking paper and place a baking tin on top (so that the puff pastry remains nice and flat).
- Bake in approx. 20 minutes and allow to cool between the baking tray.
- Divide the pudding over a baking tray / baking tin and cover with plastic wrap. Let this set in the refrigerator for about 3 hours.
- Stir the icing sugar into the egg white until a glaze forms. Mix in the food coloring until you find the right color. Brush 1 dough part with the glaze and let it dry.
- Take 1 slice of puff pastry and place the stiffened vanilla cream on top.
- Cut the colored top into 12 equal pieces and place them on top of the cream and cut the tom puffs down.
Happy king´s day!